Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween in Dublin

Well, I don't have a lot to write about for this past weekend.  I would have done more, but I had to catch up on my studying.  Yes, I was actually studying.  It was horrible!  However, I did celebrate a little bit for Halloween weekend.  I dressed up and went to a Halloween party on Friday night with my friend, Ginger.  On Sunday evening, I went to watch two Halloween movies with my friend, Boshen.  I only have one picture to show for this weekend, unfortunately.

Halloween in Dublin is celebrated much like it is in the United States.  The little kids go trick-or-treating and the big kids go to Halloween parties.  There are scary movies, pumpkins, witches, and ghost stories.  I wanted to go to a haunted castle or something in Ireland, but I'll have to save that for the first weekend of December when I go to my roommate's hometown with her.  Apparently there is a really haunted castle there where a lot of tv shows are filmed with people that are locked in during the night.  Anyway, the only differences I found about Halloween in Ireland vs. in the United States are:

-In some areas (eg County Dublin), they light bonfires on the night of Halloween.
-Many people set off fireworks on Halloween.

There may have been more differences, but I was on campus for Halloween and may have missed many of the traditions.


Me (left) as a cowgirl and Ginger (right) as a hippie at the Friday night Halloween party


1 comment: